Why a CMMC RPO is the Way to Go
Any organization on a contract in the Defense Industrial Base (DIB) will soon be required to adhere to CMMC requirements for compliance. When selecting a provider to help your organization meet these requirements, you may be wondering if you should use an RPO or if you can use any compliance resource/organization to assist. Here are three reasons to utilize an RPO for CMMC compliance.
1. There is a specific process to becoming an RPO. Any organization who wants to obtain the RPO designation has to complete several tasks including:
- Passing an organizational check AND a background check on any Registered Practitioner (RP) employed by the RPO. This includes obtaining data from Dun and Bradstreet, including a DUNS number.
- Staffing at least one Registered Practitioner trained and tested by the CMMC-AB
- Signing an RPO agreement with a commitment to comply with the CMMC-AB Code of Professional Conduct
- Registering with the CMMC-AB to receive authorization to use the official logo
- Participation in periodic CMMC-AB Town Hall updates and “delta” training as rules change
These requirements ensure that the RPO is compliant with the requirements set forth by the CMMC-AB.
2. The RPO designation indicates the organization is invested in the CMMC space and that they have committed to cybersecurity best practices.
An organization obtaining RPO accreditation has likely been in the cybersecurity space for some time. An RPO likely has a dedicated team of security and compliance experts who are experienced with various other frameworks such as HIPAA, GDPR, ISO 27001, NIST 800-53, and more. This organization should have extensive experience in helping customers reduce risk.
3. They are knowledgeable about the defense contracting environment.
It is important to work with an organization that knows your business. You wouldn’t hire a dentist to fix your car, would you? Of course not, because the dentist is specialized in fixing teeth, not cars. An RPO is well aware of the regulations and requirements of the defense contracting space, thus making them a better candidate for helping you along your CMMC compliance journey.
There are many reasons selecting an RPO is the way to go. Tego has two RPs on staff who have over 10 combined years working with DFARS and many years of experience in the security, audit, and compliance space. Tego is here to help you with your CMMC compliance journey through consulting, assessments, and more. Contact us today to get started.