Higher learning with Hodges University – Enrolling in Greater Data Availability and Protection with Tego Cloud
Hodges University is a private, nonprofit, accredited institution of higher learning in Southwest Florida, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in a variety of disciplines.
Hodges University was already utilizing Tego’s Cloud Services for other use cases, but aspired to eliminate the use of tape backups without giving up their investment in and the benefits of Commvault®. Tego Data proposed a solution that would leverage Commvault and our Cloud platform to eliminate tape infrastructure and deliver a more reliable and flexible data protection solution.
CommVault Systems, Inc. has great options when it comes to the types of libraries you are able to write and archive too. In addition to configuring data replication to the Tego cloud platform we began enabling the Commvault One Pass agent throughout the clients backing up to Hodges IT environment.
- With a single, low-impact scan, Commvault OnePass incorporates:
- Data protection
- Access for file and email environments
- This comprehensive solution incorporates the traditional backup and archiving processes in a single operation, moving data to secondary storage where the data functions as both a backup and archive copy. Stubs are retained on the primary storage that point to the archived data that was moved to secondary storage. The archived data is available for quick and easy retrieval.
- Automated policies manage data in the ContentStore – the efficient, virtual repository that provides a flexible and efficient way to store, access, and understand your data. Content-based retention through the OnePass Reference Copy feature takes advantage of ContentStore intelligence to store only the data that is valuable to your business. With this capability, you can design and customize the data you want to retain, according to its business, compliance, or evidentiary value.
- This agent also allows users to view backup data statistics and a reporting function ideal for analysis type work without having to revisit the primary storage again.
The initial solution is offering up as much Tego cloud space as needed for Hodges via an SMB share connected by a dedicated VPN tunnel. This is a very easy configuration via Commvault’s CommCell® interface. In this instance Tego Cloud is considered a network drive versus a cloud drive as we are just providing an SMB share.[/fusion_text][fusion_text]Tego Data’s cloud infrastructure is comprised of a mixed platform of nodes operating NetApp ONTAP 8.3 and 9.0.
Some of the key reasons Tego Data is utilizing NetApp’s industry leading storage platform:
- Simplify Deployment and Management
- Deploy new workloads in under 10 minutes
- Unify data management across flash, disk, and cloud
- Gain a global view of storage with a single management console
- Flexibly Support Changing Business Needs
- Deploy on engineered systems, converged infrastructure, software-defined storage, and cloud
- Support current and modern software platforms
- Manage SAN and NAS workloads on a unified storage architecture
- Power Your Enterprise Applications
- Deliver rich data services with high performance and consistent low latency
- Reduce storage costs with the most comprehensive data reduction and efficiency technologies
- Eliminate planned and unplanned downtime for continuous business availability
- Scale capacity and performance without disruption
- Hodges University has Commvault agents installed on equipment at each campus
- Data is written to the Commvault server via pre-defined schedules
- Commvault utilizes the share provisioned from Tego Cloud to store the data directly to a cloud solution therefore bypassing the need for cumbersome tapes and tape drives.
Innovations in cloud services, flash technology, and application modernization are driving the need to transform how you protect your data. The Tego Data Cloud leveraging NetApp technology combined with Commvault’s solution allows Hodges to eliminate the use of tape backups and delivers an enhanced level of protection, flexibility, and control.
Let us help you transform your data protection strategy and realize benefits including:
- Boost productivity by streamlining backup, recovery, and disaster recovery processes; and free up resources so you can focus on innovation
- Maximize investments by using secondary data sets for test, development, and analytics
- Optimize protection across public, private, and hybrid clouds
Commvault® and CommCell® is a registered trade mark of CommVault Systems, Inc., used under permission of CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.